Saturday, September 19, 2009

Weekend Summary

So, for those of you that actually "follow" this blog, please keep in mind that I am wanting to blog for one purpose - that is, to keep a journal! With that said...

Today has been a very interesting day. A day of sadness, happiness/joy, desire and HOPE! My Grandma Roden's funeral was this morning and it was very nice! My Dad and his siblings had to do, what I think would be the hardest thing to do, and speak at their Mother's funeral - they all did an amazing job!

Many, many stories were shared of my Grandma - some I've heard and others I hadn't. Lots were on her "quick-wit" - for example:

When my dad's siblings were taking my Grandma to the care center (where she lived the last two weeks of her life) the staff (for some reason) asked my Grandma if she exercised, to which she put her head down, lifted her finger and started bending it up and down! Ha ha! I'm sure she was not happy for being there and not sure if that was her sense of humor or her anger kicking in, but that is my Grandma and I wish I would have gotten some of that "quick-wittedness" from her!

Another story was one when she was a little girl. Herself and another girl (can't remember who that was) were being chased by a bull and as she was running away from this bull, she thought that in order for it to be a legit prayer she had to have her eyes closed to which she prayed (w/her eyes closed as she was running) - "Lord, please bless us, we are good people." I hope I got that saying right! There is a cartoon drawing of this story in my Grandmother's home!

My Dad gave an amazing talk. He told of when he was eight yrs old, he was to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting. My grandma wrote his talk for him and told him that he needed to repeat this talk several times so that he would be ready to give it in church. That Sunday, my dad got up, w/my Grandma sitting in the front row to guide and cheer him on, and started out his talk. He came to a funny part (that my Grandma intentionally put in there) and my dad delivered the "joke" and when everyone started laughing (as they should have) my dad started crying. My Grandma encouraged him to go on and when he wouldn't she came up on the stand w/him. She gave him more encouragement but he still could not finish the talk. Needless to say, My Father finished that exact talk today w/the perfect ending to my Grandma's funeral! It was perfect and the spirit was SO strong!

I have had the opportunity to keep that spirit w/me all day today and hope that it continues for a very long time!

I had the opportunity to go w/my parents' to my Grandma's home this evening! Wow, what a different feeling that is now in her home. I can't even begin to describe what it felt like, a feeling of loneliness but also a feeling of love, comfort, peace and HOPE!

I bring up the word HOPE a lot, as that is what I left with after having an awesome discussion w/my parents. After going to my Grandma's home, we drove up to the cemetary and just talked. I had a few questions for my Mom and Dad (as I got some one-on-one time w/them) and am SO glad I was given that opportunity. I left there wanting to try MUCH harder on getting my family to the temple! I want that feeling of knowing we will be together forever! I can't imaging forever w/out Brett and Kylee! Here's to hoping we can get there soon. I struggle w/a few of the things I will have to do in order to go through the temple, but sure hope and pray that I can follow through w/those certain things!

To sum this all up - my Grandma has taught me so much and I love and miss her very much! I know I will see her again one day and that is what makes me excited to strive to do better w/my life and really focus on what's important!!

I love you Grandma! Till we meet again!

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet tribute to your grandma. I need to do something like that for mine. Keep trying hard, the temple is so worth it. I have to agree, heaven wouldn't be heaven without my family.

    ReplyDelete